Mr. Mendelsohn Named a “New Leader of the Bar”

In August 2012, Mr. Mendelsohn was named as one of the 50 “New Leaders of the Bar.”  According to the New Jersey Law Journal, “Mendelsohn is known at his firm as  driven, aggressive and mindful that being a successful lawyer means more than just being a competent attorney…and is fast becoming one of the most prominent automotive class-action attorneys in New Jersey. He has obtained tens of millions of dollars in compensation... Read More

Lack of Smoke Detectors May Have resulted in 5 Fire Deaths

There were no smoke detectors found inside the apartment in the two-family South Plainfield home where five people died in a raging fire on March 1, 2012.  “In our investigation, we can find no evidence of smoke detectors in 1407 Clinton Ave.,” South Plainfield Fire Chief Thomas Scalera said.  The other half of the house, 1409 Clinton Ave., had three smoke detectors, one on each floor, Scalera said. But those on the first and second... Read More

Study Finds Children That Suffer Burns Over 60% TBSA Have Most Complications

A study published by The Lancet online last week concluded that children with burn injuries covering 60% or more of their total body surface area (TBSA) are at a much higher risk of experiencing severe complications or death. The authors urge the need for more attention to be given to such patients, with more vigilant and improved forms of therapy. The study, was headed by Dr. Marc Jeschke of the Ross Tilley Burn Centre, University of Toronto, and... Read More

National Burn Awareness Week 2012

Every year Burn Awareness Week is observed during the the first full week in February.  Burn Awareness Week is designed to provide an opportunity for burn, fire and life safety educators to unite in sharing a common burn awareness and prevention message in our communities. Burn Awareness Week, celebrated early in the year, is an excellent opportunity to “kick off” a year full of burn awareness education.  The Burn Awareness Week topic for 2012... Read More

Propane Tank Explosion Seriously Injures Two Men

On Saturday, January 21, 2012, two men suffered serious burn injuries when a leaking propane tank exploded inside an old camper trailer where they were living in Jackson, New Jersey.  Jackson fire officials said that the men, who had permission to use the trailer, were cooking inside it when the blast occurred Saturday night.  The men, whose names were not released, told authorities that they smelled a strange odor shortly before the tank exploded,... Read More

Woman and Her Son Suffer Burn Injuries in Clifton House Fire

On November 6, 2011, Veronica Weatherbee and her sons Jacon and Matthew were asleep in Ms. Weatherbee’s mother Nina DeVincentis’s house in Clifton, New Jersey.  At around 2 a.m. that morning a fire broke out that destroyed much of the home.  According to DeVincentis, the fire was started by an electric blanket that ignited the a couch in the home. Ms. Weathgerbee is being treated for smoke inhalation at St. Joseph’s Regional... Read More

Roselle Apartment Fire Severely Burns Resident

On September 11, 2011, a Roselle woman was injured in an apartment fire. The small fire occurred around 3 p.m. in a three-story apartment on west 3rd Avenue in Roselle, New Jersey. Roselle fire officials responded to the scene and had the fire under control quickly. The unidentified woman, who Roselle fire officials said was aged in her 60s, was rescued by Roselle firefighters and transported to the Burn Center at Saint Barnabas Medical Center... Read More

Three Hurt in Manville Hot Water Boiler Explosion

On September 3, 2011, an explosion ripped through a Manville injuring two utility workers. PSE&G said a hot water boiler exploded Saturday afternoon at house on Huff Avenue as employees were entering the homeowner’s basement to repair boiler. The explosion caused the basement stairs to collapse underneath the workers and damaged other infrastructure. The condition and identities of the PSE&G workers, but the Somerset County Prosecutor’s... Read More

Man Killed in Fire Caused by Smoking and Oxygen Tank Combination

John Heemer of Newton, New Jersey died today in a fire in his Brookside Terrace apartment.  Officials from the Newton Fire Department are still investigating, but they believe the fire was accidental and likely caused by a combination of cigarette smoking and an oxygen tank. Newton Police Officers were the first on the scene of this two-alarm fire, but could not enter the apartment due to the fire and smoke.  By the time that Newton Firefighters... Read More

Cigarette Causes Fire in Middletown That Kills Four People

Middletown Fire Caused by Cigarette Kills Four People Stephen Banovich, a resident in Middletown, New Jersey at 135 Statesir Place awoke on April 19, 2011 to a knock on his bedroom door from his sister-in-law who claimed she smelled smoke.  Banovich went downstairs to investigate the smoke.  By the time he had gotten downstairs, the fire had already spread and forced him from the house.  Despite efforts by Banovich and his neighbors, they could... Read More