Woman and Her Son Suffer Burn Injuries in Clifton House Fire

On November 6, 2011, Veronica Weatherbee and her sons Jacon and Matthew were asleep in Ms. Weatherbee’s mother Nina DeVincentis’s house in Clifton, New Jersey.  At around 2 a.m. that morning a fire broke out that destroyed much of the home.  According to DeVincentis, the fire was started by an electric blanket that ignited the a couch in the home.

Ms. Weathgerbee is being treated for smoke inhalation at St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center in Paterson, New Jersey.
Her son Jacob, also being treated for smoke inhalation, is at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston.

DeVincentis said that Veronica and her older son Matthew couldn’t find Jacob amongst the smoke. The two escaped the blaze and sought assistance from Ivan Gavira, a neighbor that lived across the street.  Gaviria, 29, kicked in the door, but there was too much smoke to get inside.  About 20 minutes later, emergency responders pulled the lifeless out of the burning house onto the front lawn and attempted to resuscitate him.  Emergency personnel were able to stabilize the boy and transport him to the Burn Center at St. Barnabas.  DeVincentis said her grandson and daughter are both stable.

Police are still investogating the cause of the fire.  However, if the fire was caused by an electrical blanket, the family may have a viable product liability claim against the blanket’s manufacturer for the injuries they sustained.  Electrical blankets should never get hot enough to ignite and should turn off in the event there is a malfunction.

If you or a loved one has been injured as a result of a defective product that caused a fire, it is important that you speak with an experienced New Jersey Burn Attorney attorney. Contact us today for a FREE consultation.


Leave A Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.